In a hurry and simply want a quick answer? The WEN 3962 Band Saw is the best band saw for the money. Keep on reading to find out why.
Band saws are incredibly useful for both professional carpenters and woodworking hobbyists. Choosing the best band saw for your projects can be quite a challenge considering how many options there are. How do you choose the right one?
This article will review the best band saws that are available in 2023 to help you make an informed buying decision.
Top-Rated Band Saws Compared:
Band Saw Buying Guide
Why Buy a Band Saw?
Band saws are efficient for compound cuts. A band saw can help you make the cuts needed for pieces like curved legs on a piece of furniture. You can save time by arranging several pieces that you can cut through all at once by using the band saw, so you don’t have to saw multiple pieces by hand.
Important Features to Consider
The band saw size you need depends completely on what you will be using it for. If you will be working on larger projects, choose a machine between 18 and 20 inches. A good 14-inch band saw will be enough for smaller projects.
What size motor depends on what type of wood you will be cutting. Typically, band saw motor sizes range from ½ HP to 1 ½ HP. When cutting softwoods, you won’t need a very powerful motor. If you want to do heavy-duty woodwork or build furniture, you will want a band saw with a bigger motor.
Really based on your personal preferences, the stand you need can also depend on how you use the saw. Tabletop stands aren’t appropriate for use at a construction site, but they can be a good choice for a woodworker or hobbyist.
When considering a closed versus open stand, the biggest difference is a closed stand looks like a cabinet while the open stand is the table and the saw. Both are sturdy options, but the closed stand gives you more storage and can keep your saw better organized and clean.
Material is super important when you are considering the frame of a band saw. You can easily replace the parts in the saw itself, but it’s harder to replace the entire frame if it breaks. For the best quality frame, look for cast iron, welded steel, or die-cast metal and avoid band saws that use other types of materials.
Wheels are also super important when you consider the stability of your band saw. Look for wheels that appear sturdy, well-made, and attached securely when choosing your band saw.
As you work, dust and debris can get everywhere causing you to make inaccurate cuts or worse. Look for band saws that come with a dust port where you connect a shop vac to the band saw, so you can remove the dust before it becomes a problem.
Width – when it comes to choosing a blade width, remember that a smaller blade width is better if you plan to cut curves or tight corners. For those that don’t need that type of precision, a wider blade is just fine.
Teeth Per Inch (TPI) – typically, you should choose more teeth if you have a project that requires a fine cut. That way, the teeth on the blade won’t get separated out causing a coarse finish.
The Ten Best Band Saws: The Reviews
1. WEN 3962 – Best Band Saw for the Money
- 3.5 amp motor creates cuts up to six inches deep and 9-3/4 inches wide
- Uses 72-inch blades anywhere from 1/8 to 1/2 inches in size
- Spacious 14-1/8 x 12-1/2 inch work table bevels up to 45 degrees
Featuring two speeds, the WEN 3962 Band Saw comes with a work light and stand as well as an adjustable fence. Equipped with a 3.5-amp motor, the WEN Band Saw can cut up boards up to six inches thick thanks to its 9-3/4-inch throat. Using 72-inch blades, this band saw can provide both powerful and intricate cuts.
Equipped with a 3-in-1 dust port, the WEN 3962 Band Saw also keeps your work area clean and safe. You are also able to run the saw at either 2620 or 1520 FPM depending on your project. The WEN Band Saw offers a range of blade options as well as bevel cuts between 0 and 45 degrees to the right.
Other features include a handy work light that lets you light up your workspace for added safety and a stable fence that helps you create straight lines. And the miter gauge allows you to cut along a specific angle while the 25-inch stand keeps the band saw elevated.
- 25-Inch stand
- Adjustable fence
- Miter gauge
- 3-in-1 dust port
- Beveling table
- Flexible work light
- Onboard guide for measuring
- This is a super functional saw
- It has really user-friendly controls
- It comes with very decent accessories
- The wheels are too narrow
- You have to mess around with the adjustments a lot
2. WEN 3959 Band Saw
- 2.5 amp motor rotates the blade up to 2500 feet per minute
- Create cuts up to 3-1/2 inches deep and 9 inches wide
- Uses 59-1/2 inch blades anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 inches in size
Featuring a 2.5-Amp motor, the nine-inch WEN 3959 Band Saw can create angled cuts and features a large work area. Providing cuts up to nine-inches wide and 3 ½-inches deep, this band saw can rotate the ¼-inch blade up 2,5000 feet a minute. This saw’s design uses 59 ½-inch blades between 1/8 and 3/8-inches wide to make both powerful and intricate cuts.
The large works area allows you to work on big projects without any issues and bevel up to 45 degrees. The WEN 3959 Benchtop Band Saw is compact allows you to use it on pretty much any sturdy and flat surface easily. It also comes with ball bearings that provide smooth and long-lasting blade operation.
Other features include a miter gauge and an adjustable blade guard as well as a fence for making straight cuts. And the included dust port allows you to keep a clean and safe work area.
- 2.5-amp motor
- Spacious worktable
- Bevels up to 45 degrees
- 2-1/2-inch dust port
- Rip fence
- Adjustable blade guard
- Miter gauge
- This is a great starter saw for beginners
- It is portable and easy to clean
- It can handle thick and large blocks of wood like black walnut
- You can’t center the saw blade on the lower wheel
- There’s a big learning curve to set up the machine
3. JET JWBS-14DXPRO – Best Band Saw for Resawing
- Cuts Larger Pieces: Built-in 12" resaw capacity
- Increased Strength and Rigidity: Redesigned upper and lower cast iron frame
- Longer Blade Life: Upper and lower ball bearing guides reduce friction
This 14-inch band saw offers innovative features and reliable precision. The Jet JWBS-14DXPRO Band Saw Kit can tackle tough resawing jobs that measure up to 12 inches. With its high-tension spring design, you get more control and power to make accurate and clean cuts, plus its sturdy construction helps to ensure optimum durability for use long-term.
With a high cutting capacity of 13 ½ inches, the JET JWBS-14DXPRO Band Saw Kit also comes with a built-in blade guard that is retractable and offers the versatility to work on both large and small projects. The super-tough and large cast-iron frame gives you the stability and rigidity for tough sawing jobs. You also get a blade speed of either 1500 or 3000 SFPM that allows you to cut through wood quickly and easily.
This sturdy table allows you to work on a variety of projects and can tile 45 degrees right and 10 degrees left. The Jet JWBS-14DXPRO offers the flexibility to meet the needs of each project while the maximum height of 43 1/2 -inches allows you to meet the needs of a wider range of projects. The lower and upper ball bearing guides help you to reduce friction and also enhance the blade performance while increasing the blade life.
- Built-in 12 inch resaw capacity
- Enclosed Stand
- Cast iron frame
- 2-speed poly v belt drive system
- Easy to view blade tracking window
- Blade guidepost
- Rack and pinion adjustment
- This is a super sturdy saw with a high cutting capacity
- It has two cutting speeds that you can adjust depending on the project
- It makes clean and accurate cuts
- The instruction manual isn’t that easy to follow and understand
- The blade they send with it is useless
Read More: Best 14-Inch Band Saws
4. Rikon 10-3061 Deluxe Band Saw
- HIGH QUALITY MACHINE – This product includes the 10-3061 Deluxe Bandsaw and 5/16” x 70-1/2” 6TPI bandsaw blade. Great for producing smooth cuts in wood, metal, and more, this machine is perfect...
- MOTOR DETAILS - The increased cutting capacity and increased 1/2HP motor make this bandsaw great for small to medium sized projects. Motor: 1/2HP, 5.5Amp, 110V (60Hz), 1720RPM, Blade Speeds: 1515 or...
- TABLE DETAILS - The tilting, 0-45° cast iron table makes for easy operation. Table Size: 13-3/4” x 12-1/2”, Table Tilt: 5 degrees left, 45 degrees right
Including two blade speeds and a fence, the Rikon 10-3061 Deluxe Band Saw is everything you want in a band saw. With a powerful ½ HP motor, you get a cutting capacity of five-inches high that allows you to cut pretty much anything. It is also equipped with two blade speeds that let you slow down or speed up the blade depending on what you are cutting.
This high-quality machine is a great tool to produce smooth cuts in both metal and wood and comes with a toggle switch that changes the speed to match the project. Perfect for medium and small projects, this table is capable of tilting up to five degrees to the left and 45 degrees to the right for easy operation.
The Rikon 10-3061 Deluxe Band Saw also includes a wide guide rail in the front that is equipped with an adjustable scale. Other features include a sturdy cam-lock and a long fence extrusion. Plus, the dust port can fit most typical shop vacuum hoses making clean up super easy.
- Tool-less blade guides
- Quick-release blade tension lever
- Large blade tracking knob
- Dust port
- Safety paddle on/off switch
- You can choose between two speeds depending on what you are working on
- It creates smooth cuts quickly
- The dust port is easy to use and hook up your shop vac to
- The toggle cam is pretty cheap and made of plastic, so it doesn’t grip the rails tightly
- You can’t get the fence adjustment to properly align the blade
5. JET JWBS-14CS Band Saw
- Built-in 12" resaw capacity for cutting larger pieces of wood
- Two-speed poly-v belt drive system
- Upper and lower cast iron frame for increased strength and rigidity
This 14-inch band saw features a one HP motor along with graphite guide blocks and a large tilting table. The JET JWBS-14CS Band Saw has a straightforward and simple design with a bunch of powerful features. Perfect for use in your home workshop, this is a great choice for craftsmen and hobbyists.
Including a completely enclosed stand and dust port, the JET JWBS-14CS Band Saw doesn’t need a lot of set up and will last you through years of heavy-duty use. With its high resaw capacity and huge tilting table, you also get a lot of flexibility to handle a wide variety of projects.
With the balanced wheels and cast-iron frame, the Jet JWBS-14CS Band Saw offers operation that is free of vibrations. The blades are designed to reduce heat and friction to help provide a longer tool life and the graphite guides come with roller bearing thrust guides that offer fast set up and a cooler running blade. The metal housing is durable and comes with a powder coating that won’t flake or chip while the quick-connect plug is easy to use.
- Enclosed Stand with Cast Iron Table
- 1 HP engine
- The blade moves at 3,000 strokes per minute
- Tilting table
- Graphite impregnated polymer blade
- The table won’t vibrate as you work
- You don’t have to set up a lot when you take it out of the box
- it comes with a lot of features and works on a lot of different projects
- It doesn’t include any glides to level the base.
- The tensioner is hard to use
6. POWERTEC BS900 Benchtop Band Saw
- Includes: (1) BS900 110 Volt 9” band saw, (1) miter gauge and (1) 1/4” x 62 inch band saw blade
- Function: an essential woodworking tool for delivering precision cuts, cutting irregular shapes Up to 3-5/8 inches deep & 9 inches wide, or ripping lumber into thinner pieces
- Special features: patented blade guard adjustment for quick and easy blade replacement, A blade tracking window, and a 2” dust port that keeps work area clean and clear from dust
Featuring a ½ HP motor, this 9-inch band saw features a miter gauge combination that is designed to deliver precise cuts. The Powertec BS900 Benchtop Band Saw can cut irregular shapes that measure up to 9-inches wide. It can also rip wood into thin pieces making it a great choice for a professional workshop or a DIY woodworker.
Capable of producing angled cuts and precise crosscuts, the Powertec BS 900 Benchtop Band Saw includes a miter gauge to ensure cutting accuracy, as well as incremental control and angle stops. Equipped with a rack and pinion table, you can easily accommodate accurate and fast height and angle changes depending on your project.
The Powertec BS900 Benchtop Band Saw features a blade guard system and can safely and quickly adjust the cutting depth while the tilting table features allow you to bevel between 0 and 45 degrees to create precise angled cuts. The easy-view window lets you align and track the blade, and the blade tension lever has a quick-release function that allows you to make easy blade changes.
- Rack and pinion table
- Diversified blade range
- Easy view blade tracking
- Dust-free work zone
- Miter gauge
- Tilting table
- This is a well-balanced and smooth cutting saw
- It comes with a pressure lever that makes it easy to swap out the blade
- This is a pretty quiet operating saw
- The base is too small for its size
- The angled guide is cheap, and it won’t give you an accurate angled cut
7. Grizzly G0803Z Benchtop Band Saw
No products found.
Equipped with an adjustable light and laser guide, the Grizzly G0803Z Benchtop Band Saw is a nine0inch band saw with incredible cutting performance. This is a portable band saw that provides a ton of power, so you won’t get bogged down with those heavy woods. It also includes an adjustable blower, rip fence, and ball bearing blade guides.
Featuring a super-efficient 1/3 HP motor, the Grizzly G0803Z Benchtop Band Saw is a heavy-duty and portable band saw that uses an upgraded laser guidance system to increase your precision as you cut. Plus, the adjustable blower helps to improve your visibility when you are following a template or cutting line.
Using 62-inch blades, this well-built and sturdy machine is able to accept blades up to 3/8 inches wide. The Grizzly G0803Z Benchtop Band Saw also has the ability to power through dense materials and greenwood. It also comes with an easy to adjust tension and tracking features, and its compact footprint and included top handle makes it easy to move around a workshop.
- Adjustable Laser Sight
- Adjustable Fence
- Rack and Pinion Tilting Table
- Ball-Bearing Blade Guides
- Quick-Release Blade Tension Lever
- Two-inch Dust Port
- Chip Blower and Work Light
- The laser light and laser sight are super handy
- This is an easy to move machine that doesn’t take up a lot of space in a workshop
- It can power through dense or greenwood
- The fence isn’t square
- The chip blower is almost impossible to attach to the housing.
8. Delta 28-400 Band Saw
- Heavy duty steel frame design reduces flexing and features a superior finish and aluminum trunnion table support for long-lasting durability
- 1 HP, 115V/230V, 1 phase TEFC motor with 2 speeds: 1,620 FPM and 3,340 FPM for wood and non-ferrous metal cutting
- Two-speed pulley with easy tensioning system
Offering smooth precision, the Delta 28-4:00 Band Saw measures 14-inches and comes with a 1 HP motor. This steel frame band saw comes with lower and upper precise ball bearing blade guides that can ensure you have consistent tracking to make accurate cuts. It also comes with a large insert that gives you the visibility you need to easily change lower guide settings.
With the two-speed drive system, the Delta 28-4:00 Band Saw includes tool-less belt tensioning as well as incredible blade tracking. The powerful 1 HP motor can handle large stock while the durable, heavy-duty frame can reduce flexing. It also has a superior finish along with an aluminum trunnion table for added support to ensure long-lasting durability.
Featuring a large capacity, the Delta Band Saw uses up to a ¾-inch blade that has a six-inch-high and 13 5/8-inch wide cutting capacity. It also comes with a dust brush on the lower wheel to keep your blades clean and a poly v-belt drive to give you smooth operation.
- Heavy-duty steel frame
- 1 HP motor
- Two-speed drive system
- Precision ground cast iron table that can tilt
- T-slot miter capability
- Large table design
- The table on this saw is huge
- It has an incredible runout adjustment
- You can adjust the bottom tire
- It doesn’t have a micrometer adjustment on the blade guides
- It can be challenging to change the speed on it
9. SKIL 3386-01 Band Saw
- Rip fence for straight, accurate cuts; 6 TPI band saw blade cuts through a variety of wood materials
- Articulating LED work light for better view of work piece and cut line
- Features a 1-1/2 inch dust port that keeps work area clear of dust
Offering120-volts, the 9-Inch Skil 3386-01 Band Saw comes with a rip fence, miter gauge, blade, and light. This is also a good choice if you plan to split lumber into thinner pieces or cut irregular shapes. Providing the capability to cut through a variety of wood types, you can also make quick angle and height changes using the adjustable rack and pinion table.
You can also easily align the blade using the EZ view blade tracking feature. Other features on the SKil 3386-01 Band Saw includes a miter gauge when making cross cuts and a rip fence to make straight cuts. Equipped with a dust port, you can easily keep your work area free of dust and debris allowing you to make accurate and safe cuts. The LED work light is also adjustable, so you can see the cut line clearly. Perfect for beginners, this band saw is capable of cutting through a variety of wood types as you learn how to handle it and what projects you prefer to work with.
- Rip fence
- TPI band saw blade
- Articulating LED work light
- 1-1/2 inch dust port
- Adjustable rack and pinion table
- One speed motor
- The dust port keeps your work area clean and safe
- You can adjust the handy LED work light for better visibility
- It’s a great choice for beginners
- You have to clean the wheels often to help with blade tracking since the brush that comes with it doesn’t work well enough
- The blade that comes with the saw doesn’t last long
Read More: Best Budget Band Saws
10. GENERAL INTERNATIONAL Benchtop Band Saw
- HIGH-POWERED CUTTING - Powerful 2.5 Amp induction motor easily & efficiently handles all your woodcutting needs.
- HEAVY-DUTY - Equipped with integral cast aluminum frame, cast aluminum work table and rubber coated aluminum wheels. Rugged construction for long-lasting durability & reliability,
- TILTING TABLE DESIGN - Tilt the work table from 0-45 degrees allowing for versitile adjustment & cutting precision.
Equipped with a tilting table and adjustable fence guide the General International Benchtop Band Saw is a 2.5A vertical benchtop band saw. Equipped with a powerful 2.5 amp motor, this band saw easily rips through hardwoods. It has a large work area that can handle most projects that have a large cutting capacity.
Efficiently and easily handling all your cutting needs, the powerful 2.5 Amp induction motor can take on most projects that you throw at it. The heavy-duty integral cast aluminum frame along with the rubber-coated aluminum wheels and provides a rugged construction that is reliable, durable, and long-lasting. Plus, you get a tilting table design that offers precise cuts and versatile adjustments.
Other features of the General International Benchtop Band Saw include a flexible LED work light, an easy and fast blade changing mechanism, a miter gauge, and a rip fence. It also includes single-speed cutting that will give you a cut speed of 2625 feet per minute. t./min.
- High-powered cutting
- Heavy-duty aluminum frame
- Tilting table
- Miter gauge
- Rip Fence
- Flexible LED work light
- Single Speed Cutting
- It comes with a tilting table
- The LED work light is flexible and handy
- This is a heavy-duty and powerful machine
- The fence isn’t good quality
- It’s a smaller unit than some users expected
Read More: Best Benchtop Band Saws
The Final Cut
I believe that WEN 3962 is the best band saw for the money. This band saw offers a ton of features including two speeds, a work light, a stand, and an adjustable fence. Equipped with a 3.5-amp motor, this saw uses 72-inch blades to provide both powerful and intricate cuts.
Equipped with a 3-in-1 dust port, the WEN 3962 Band Saw also keeps your work area clean and safe. The WEN Band Saw offers a range of blade options as well as bevel cuts between 0 and 45 degrees to the right. Check out this woodworking band saw on Amazon.