Looking for a quick answer? DEWALT DWE7485 offers the most value for money and is the best portable jobsite table saw you can get. Keep reading to learn why.
A good table saw is essential to any complete woodshop. The problem is that very few of us have enough space to fit a large cabinet table saw.
Fortunately, power tool manufacturers gave us us with mobile, portable table saws. The question is, how do you differentiate good table saws from the not-so-good?
In this article, we will review the best portable jobsite table saws that you can buy in 2023.
Best Portable Jobsite Table Saws Of 2023:
1. Top Pick: DEWALT 8-1/4-Inch Table Saw (DWE7485)
- Portability: Compact size for ease of transportation and storage
- Easy adjustments: Rack and pinion telescoping fence rails make fence adjustments fast, smooth and accurate
- Variety of cuts: 24.5 inches of rip capacity for ripping 4x8 plywood or OSB sheets
DEWALT are known for making excellent tools, generally for around the same or lower cost as the competition. This saw is no exception and is right in the middle of the price range.
The main benefit of this saw is that it is very light and portable. If you need to carry your table saw around your workshop or move from worksite to worksite, you will appreciate its low weight. At about 45 pounds, it is easy to move on and off job sites. Its table coating helps decreases friction and facilitates smooth wood cutting. The construction is surrounded by a steel roll cage that should be able to absorb a lot of beating and protect the tool from breaking.
This portable table saw is sufficiently powerful. The motor on this table saw pushes 15 amps with 5,800 RPM under no load. The saw can rip hardwoods without trouble. You will also like the fact that DEWALT DWE7485 comes with a dust port on the back.
As for its drawbacks, I think the biggest one is that it can only use 8-1/4-Inch blades. You will have a difficult time ripping large sheets of plywood with it. Additionally, similar to its predecessor DW745, this table saw does not accept dado blades. If you intend to do dado work, this is not the table saw for you.
Despite its weight, this table saw feels very sturdy. The table is made out of cast aluminum to reduce its weight but this table saw isn’t flimsy at all.
Full Review: DEWALT DWE7485 Review
2. The Runner-Up: SKILSAW 8-1/4 Inch Table Saw (SPT99T-01)
- First ever brass-geared Worm Drive table saw for maximum power and torque
- 15 Amp solid construction dual-field motor for increased cutting speed and extended motor life
- 25 inch rip capacity and 3-1/2 inch depth of cut for ripping a wide variety of materials; Fit Dado blades with the Skilsaw SPTA70WT-DD Dado Insert (Sold separately)
A list of the best table saws would not be complete without an entry by SKILSAW. SKILSAW has introduced many high-quality power saws over the years. The SKILSAW SPT99T-01 8-1/4 Inch Worm Drive Table Saw is no exception.
This model uses a brass gear-driven worm drive system to deliver power from the motor to the blade. This provides higher torque with a more efficient design. It is powered by a 15 Amp dual field motor which stays cool even during heavy-duty operations.
The fence appears to be of higher quality than most included fences. It allows for 25 inches of rip capacity so you can cut most of the lumber you could need with this saw, including large sheets of plywood.
The depth of cut may disappoint you a bit, though. Similarly to DWE7485, this saw uses an 8-1/4 inch blade. This limits the depth of the cut to 2-5/8 inches.
SKILSAW makes this unit with aluminum, which brings the weight down substantially. The saw only weighs 44 pounds.
Full Review: SKILSAW SPT99T-01 Review
Related: Best Table Saw Stands of 2023
3. Best Jobsite Table Saw: DEWALT DWE7491RS
- Your purchase includes one Dewalt table saw, 10inch 24-tooth carbide blade, rolling stand, push stick, miter gauge, rip fence, 2x blade wrenches, blade guard assembly manual
- Other Specs: Max rip to left of blade – 22inch | Max rip to right of blade – 32-1/2inch | Max width of Dado – 13/16inch | Arbor size – 5/8inch | Amps – 15 | Depth of cut at 45inch –...
- Rolling stand designed for easy set up and breakdown with excellent stability
The target audience for this table saw are people who are looking to do cabinetry. Those who want to build small projects might consider other alternatives, such as the DWE7485.
A big benefit of this entry from DEWALT is 32-1/2 inches of rip capacity. This allows for easy cuts of larger trim and shelving materials, panel glue-ups, and plywood. The rack and pinion telescoping fence system provides solid support for your workpiece.
A rolling stand is supplied for this model. This makes it very easy to move this saw around considering the fact that it weighs 90 pounds. Small to medium size shop owners as well as construction contractors will certainly appreciate this.
The 15 Amp motor on this portable table saw is adequately powered for applications requiring high torque. This saw will cut through hardwood without bogging down.
What’s also great about this jobsite table saw is that its arbor can fit dado blade sets. Cabinetry woodworkers will definitely appreciate this useful feature.
Full Review: DEWALT DWE7491RS Review
4. Great Value for Money: SKIL TS6307-00
- RACK AND PINION FENCE RAILS - Ensures fence stays parallel to blade for fast smooth, and accurate cuts
- INTEGRATED FOLDING STAND - Legs quickly fold in to provide portability and convenient storage
- PARALLEL BLADE ALIGNMENT - Available micro-adjustment of blade so that it is parallel to rip fence and miter slot
The body and the tabletop of this table saw is made out of aluminum. Therefore the first thing you will notice is how light it is. The footprint of this table saw offers plenty of work surface, but it still takes up much less space than a stationary table saw.
Skil TS6307-00 includes a stand that is produced from steel tubing which keeps its weight at a minimum, but still provides a rigid tool to work with.
The stand can be broken down to a smaller size since the legs come in two pieces that are connected with a screw system. The tool requires less storage space because of that.
This model includes a blade bevel scale along the front with permanent markings that should not wear with use. They are also easy to read, making adjustments easier to do. The arrow pointer is accurate and will give you proper readings as you set the blade.
Skil TS6307-00 comes with a rack and pinion fence which, as per advertisement, allows for quick, accurate, and smooth cuts thanks to its parallel alignment to the blade.
Full Review: SKIL TS6307-00 Review
5. Best for Safety: SawStop JSS-120A60
- SAWSTOP PATENTED SAFETY SYSTEM: Stops a spinning blade on contact with skin. The blade stops in less than 5 milliseconds, and drops below the table, minimizing a potentially life-altering injury to a...
- CLASS-LEADING FEATURES: 24 5/8” table depth means better accuracy and easier, safer cutting of larger work pieces. Included Active Dust Collection Guard for class-leading dust management. One-turn...
- RELIABILITY: The Control Box houses the on-off switch, power paddle, and on-board computer, and constantly checks that all systems are working to reliably keep you safe.
The SawStop brand is best known for its signature safety brake system that stops the blade on contact with skin. The blade on this saw carries a small electrical charge that changes when it touches the skin. The system continually monitors this small signal and activates the brake once there has been a disturbance.
The SawStop JSS-120A60 is by far the most expensive model on this list. The safety system will give you some extra peace of mind, though.
The saw itself offers a 25.5” rip capacity and has a 1.5HP motor. The unit includes all of the features that you would expect from a high-end saw, including a high-quality T-Style fence, excellent dust collection, effortless adjustment, bang-up cut accuracy just to name a few.
The cart folds down to resemble a piece of luggage that you would take on a plane. This makes transporting it very easy because you can simply collapse it to fit it into your car or truck, then pull it along with the included handle.
6. Bosch 4100XC-10 10-inch Jobsite Table Saw
- POWERFUL TABLE SAW: Has 15-Amp saw with 4.0 max HP and 3,650 rpm, for rip-cutting and cross-cutting of fine and rough materials
- LARGE CAST ALUMINUM TOP: Provides increased work space and material support with a 30 In. ripping capacity
- SOFT-START CIRCUITRY: Manages intensity of motor start-up and minimizes the likelihood possibility of tripping a circuit breaker
The Bosch 4100XC-10 table saw delivers power that is equal to that of a contractor saw, but it is portable. This model from Bosch includes a wheeled stand, a carbide-tipped blade, smart guard system, square-lock rip fence, miter gauge, push stick, and two adjustment wrenches.
A smaller footprint and upgrades to the barrier guard allow it to stand out from its older version (the Bosch 4100-09). Its lower price makes it more affordable than its DeWalt counterpart, the DWE7491RS model.
This product is a nice fit for users who work a lot with panels and other wide boards. It provides accurate cuts that are repeatable for cabinet makers. Woodworkers who make small projects and jigs may find limited benefits from this saw.
Full Review: Bosch 4100XC-10 Review
7. Delta 36-6023 10 Inch Table Saw
- Powerful 15 Amp Contractor Grade motor easily handles treated lumber and hardwoods
- 32. 5 Inch Rip Capacity handles large stock and 13/16 in. X 8 in. STACKED DADO CAPACITY
- Durable rack and pinion fence rails make fence adjustments fast, smooth, and accurate
Designed for hobbyists and contractors, the Delta 36-6023 table saw also falls into what I call the prosumer category. It is primarily designed for crosscutting and rip-sawing of hardwoods, manufactured woods, and composite materials. This table saw from Delta comes on a foldable stand, which is handy if you move around a lot and never use the saw in a single place.
Similar to table saws from competitor brands, Delta features a rack and pinion rip fence with a well-capable rip capacity of 32-1/2 inches. The rack and pinion mechanism uses metal gears and a rigid plastic knob to adjust the fence. The fence is built to last.
The only gripes that I have with this saw have to do with the miter gauge and the foldable stand. Some owners of Delta reported that the miter gauge fits poorly in the T-slot which translates into miter cuts that are marginally better than cuts made by hand.
With regards to the rolling stand, considering the price, I was expecting to see support on the left side of the table which aids in cutting sheet goods. Delta 36-6023 does not have this. That said, the stand is sturdy.
Full Review: Delta 36-6023 Table Saw Review
8. Bosch GTS1031
- Portable: Ultimate portability and mobility thanks to balanced one handed carry handle and compact design allowing you to bring this table saw along no matter the jobsite
- Tough: Durable and unique all steel base allows this portable table saw to take on the hardest job site abuse; The all steel base is built to withstand heavy impact and provide long lasting...
- Precision: Square lock rip fence self aligning design for accurate performance and cutting consistency as you glide along the saw rails with ease; Also features smart guard with anti kickback pawls...
Bosch is another brand that has been around for several decades. Unlike DEWALT, however, it built its reputation by manufacturing car parts for both the aftermarket and OEM. This saw is built to last. It has an all-steel base that should take several years of abuse in your shop. It allows for a full 18” of rip capacity.
Much like DEWALT portable jobsite table saws, the BOSCH falls right in the middle of the price range of saw covered. This machine’s smart guard system lets you easily adjust the knife of the device according to your requirements.
As for its drawbacks, many buyers complained about the low quality of Bosch’s fence. Some users have also reported slight wobbling of the blade on their saws. If you need cabinetry-level accuracy, you may want to opt for something different.
9. Makita 2705
- Powerful 15 AMP motor delivers 4,800 RPM for improved performance
- Large cutting capacity (3-9/16" at 90° and 2-1/2" at 45°) can rip 4x material in one pass; can use up to a 13/16" dado blade
- Right extension table allows for greater cutting capacity with the capability to rip 4x8 sheets of plywood
The design of this saw allows you to easily carry it with you as needed or put it away for storage. One of the significant features of this Makita saw is that it features a tool-less blade guard assembly. While this may not be an issue for some people, others find it to be quiet convenient.
This table saw comes with a 32 tooth carbide-tipped blade, a rip fence, a miter gauge, a push stick, two-blade wrenches, a socket wrench, a modular blade guard system and independent anti-kickback pawl. It also has a large storage capacity for its accessories and a multi-direction cutting ability.
It runs on a powerful 15-amp motor and can reach a rotating speed of 4800 rpm. It has an extendable table which gives you more room to work. Dado blades can be fitted on it giving it a large cutting capacity.
This unit is a contractor saw, not a portable one. This means there are a few differences to note. First, it is much heavier than other models. This saw weighs in at over 80 pounds. It also has handles that cannot be tucked away for storage.
Why Buy A Portable Table Saw?
As the name implies, portable table saws are meant to be easy to take along with you. Generally, a small portable table saw does not get bolted to a cabinet or bench. Although you may consider doing that if you work with large sheets to keep your saw from moving around.
Portable table saws are usually lighter than stationary table saws, with some weighing as little as 50 pounds. Some models even come with wheeled job site stands which makes moving them around a breeze.
Advantages Of Compact Job Site Table Saws
- Portability: One of the most recognized advantages of the best portable table saws is that of high mobility. These jobsite saws are designed to move from one work site to another, and they are easy to maneuver around.
- Size: compared to other table saw types, jobsite table saws take less space. This is great for those who work in small woodshops.
- Price: these saws are often affordable, with lots of varieties for small scale woodworking shops. Portable saws are much cheaper when compared to their stationary counterparts. You can easily find a portable model that costs less than $500.
- Portable table saws require less energy for their operation. Most models boast powerful 15 amp motors that can generate up to 5,000 RPM. In general, you will need a 110-volt outlet.
- The biggest drawback is usually the available rip area for the saw. This should not be an issue for most people, however, unless you need to cut large slabs of wood. This is a common limitation that you are likely to see on even the best jobsite table saws. The rip capacity can be expanded by adding an aftermarket fence.
- The other potential complaint is power. While portable models pack enough power for most hobbyist applications, they cannot compete with stationary table saws.
Buying A Portable Table Saw: Key Considerations
As with any large purchase, there are a few features that you want to keep an eye out for.
First, you want to look at the type of rip fence that is included with your purchase. You will want to look for a locking rack and pinion adjustable fence because it is very easy to adjust to the exact position that you want.
On lower-quality table saws you will usually have to adjust the fence with a manual handle which you raise to unlock and push down to lock.
Another feature to consider is the dust collection system. Fine dust particles are a hazard for your health and safety. Wood dust can cause allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. A good dust collection system reduces the risk of accidents in the shop, protects your health and can save you hours of cleanup at the end of the day.
If you plan to do any amount of serious woodwork, you want to make sure your saw offers a beveling feature. This is what allows you to change the angle of the blade.
Changing the angle of the blade allows you to make cuts at angles other than 90 degrees. This enables you to make nicer corners and other design features that would otherwise not be possible without additional tools.
Tabletop Build Quality
A common problem with budget table saws is that the table is not always perfectly flat. Several factors can cause this, including warping over time, poor manufacturing, or damage during shipping. The best table tops are usually made out of cast iron. Cast iron table tops tend to be higher quality, more stable and highly durable. These rarely have issues with tabletop flatness. Portable models usually come equipped with aluminum tabletops.
The table should be reasonably flat on a compact table saw, but don’t expect perfection. Avoid models that rely too much on plastic parts. A crooked table made out of poor quality materials can prevent you from getting good results on your woodworking projects.
How To Use A Portable Table Saw?
You can use a portable table saw for a variety of purposes, and you can save time and effort with its use. Safety is paramount when operating a table saw, and you should always follow these rules:
Read The Instruction Manual
Even though all the best jobsite table saws are similar, differences exist among brands. The instruction manual provides information on what the machine does, and the proper safety precautions you should take specific to your model.
Wear Eye And Ear Protection
Wearing goggles or a hardhat with a visor when using the portable table saw protects you from sawdust and wood debris that can fly into your face and eyes. Also wearing ear protection protects you from loud sounds that portable table saws produce when you use them.
Guide Thin Boards
Use a push shoe, stick or splitter when cutting thin boards. The purpose of this is to guide your wood as it gets cut. This push shoe is especially required when cutting narrow and short boards. This table saw pushing device can be acquired at hardware stores, online or you can even create one for yoursel
Install The Blade Guard Properly
Blade guards protect your fingers from debris and keep them away from the blade. Most blade guards come with the table saw. All it requires is a simple installation, and you are good to go.
Locate Your Emergency Turn Off Button
This step is vital as it prevents accidents that could lead to severe injuries. This button turns off your machine quickly in case of accidents. Most times, this button can be hit with your leg if your hands are busy.
Avoid Wearing Loose Hanging Jewelry Or Clothing
Loose clothing such as loose sleeves or ties can get caught in the saw during use. I recommend wearing close-fitting clothes to avoid this. Also, tie your long hair.
Table Saw Safety
Instances of an unnoticed nail in a wooden board, a moment of distraction can lead to your hand getting too close to the machine’s blade. These instances can lead to severe injuries. These are some of the potential dangers or risk associated with the use of table saw:
- Falling: Falling while using your table saw can lead to truly tragic consequences. This danger can happen when you use excessive force to push your workpiece through the blade operating at full speed.
- Wet Wood: As a rule, you should never cut timber that’s not dry enough. Damp wood can slide and slip and leave you impaired.
- Projectiles: This occurs when wood chips, nails, and sawdust fly out of your operating table saw at a very high speed. This can lead to cuts or damage your eyes.
The Final Cut
This is far from an extensive list, so be sure to do plenty of research before making any major purchase. All in all, we believe that DEWALT DWE7485 is the best portable table saw out there.
If you are looking for a new tabletop saw, consider a portable model, rather than a contractor saw. Portable models are a natural evolution of contractor models and offer the same benefits for a lower cost and lower weight. They are also easier to carry around thanks to a lack of exposed handles.