In this article, I have reviewed the Dremel 8220-1/28 12-Volt Max Cordless Rotary Tool, the battery-powered version of the popular Dremel tool.
I love woodcarving. I’m mainly into power carving, and I mostly use power tools. My weapon of choice has always been the rotary tool because of its versatility. It can handle wood and other materials like glass, metal, stone, plastic, etc.
After years of using various rotary tools, I know that Dremel tools are some of the best there are. If handled properly, Dremel tools can last for a decade. What’s more, the ever-expanding variety of attachments makes it an incredibly versatile tool.
Overall, it’s a tank of a tool. It can handle all the jobs that a corded tool can do, but it has certain limitations. We will discuss these limitations later in this article, so stick around.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the specific ups and downs of the Dremel 8220-1/28 and see if this is a good cordless rotary tool to buy for you.
Introducing Dremel 8220
- Compact, portable, & powerful: 12V Lithium-Ion battery provides maximum performance and run time at all speeds (5,000-30,000 RPM).
- Versatile rotary tool kit: Includes 8220 cordless rotary tool, 1 attachment, 28 high-quality Dremel accessories, charger, plastic storage case, and accessory case.
- Quick accessory changes – Patented EZ twist nose cap makes accessory changes fast and easy without the need of a wrench
The Dremel 8220 -1/28 is a simple bundle that comes with the tool and some basic accessories to help you get started. It is a well-thought-out collection that is meant more like an appetizer than the main course. It gives you a taste of what is possible while accomplishing basic tasks well.
While the tool itself is great for all levels of users, professionals will need to invest in something else to get the accessories that they want. The accessories that come with the tool are fairly basic.
- 12V battery powered
- Speed range – 5,000 – 35,000rpm
- Soft, rubberized, 360° grip
- EZ twist nose cap wrench makes for easy changes
- Battery indicator
- Separate power switch and speed dial
- Hanging clip for use with a flex shaft
What’s included in the package?
- Dremel 8220 tool
- Charging Base with fast, one-hour charging
- Mini routing attachment
- Tips for cutting, polishing, grinding, engraving
- 28 Accessories in total
- Small plastic case for holding accessories
- Hard plastic carry case
What Is It Good For?
As a portable tool, it is good for users who are on the move or have a large working space to cover, such as a manufacturing floor or a large workshop. It is ideal for those who must work in awkward spaces or constantly changing locations.
It is meant for doing short bursts of work. If you are working for long durations in one location, you should get a corded version like the Dremel 4000 or Dremel 4300.
Get the 8220 if you tend to move around a lot or if you do fine detailing in spaces where there is no power supply. Also, invest in a flex shaft for the pen-like grip and accuracy while detailing.
Is It A Good Tool?
It is most definitely one of the best rotary tools of 2024 and the only one with such a huge collection of accessories. It is well-designed and built, with a strong support network. Dremel has become a generic term for any rotary tool, showing how ubiquitous the brand is in the market.
At just $100, this is a great deal for the quality and performance. The battery is solid, and the overload protection makes it almost impossible to burn out. There are cheaper alternatives, but in the long run, this is the best value for money.
So, now that you know what to expect from the tool let’s go a little deeper and examine the various aspects of this versatile rotary tool.
Dremel 8220 Review
It Is Very Portable
This tool runs on a 12V Li-ion battery. The battery is powerful enough to cut through almost anything, as long as the right attachment is used. Just one thing to keep in mind when using any power tool, especially a battery-powered one – don’t apply too much force. Let the motion of the tool do the work. Anything beyond that is getting in the way of the tool doing its job.
If you are using this tool in short bursts, you can usually get an entire project done on a single full charge. Otherwise, the fast-charge power base provided will juice up your battery in just an hour.
Without a cord to complicate matters, you can use this anywhere and everywhere without sacrificing speed and power – which is the main appeal of this product.
It Is As Fast As The Corded Version
Dremel has not cut any corners when making this tool, and it achieves the same speed as the corded versions, which is 35,000 rpm. Regardless of what you do, if a corded Dremel can handle it, the 8220 will too.
There’s only one caveat – this battery option won’t produce the same torque (rotation force) as its corded counterparts. It will take a bit longer to complete the same work with Dremel 8220
As Versatile As The Corded Version
The EZ Twist nose cap wrench is one of the best ideas Dremel implemented in their tools. It makes changing tips much easier and less fiddly. The 8220 is essentially the same as its corded cousins and thus supports all the tips and accessories that an existing Dremel user might already have lying around.
So if you are buying this as an addition to your tool kit or as the beginning of your collection, you can rest easy knowing that all standard Dremel accessories will fit.
You can also use it with special accessories meant for cleaning and maintenance tasks. As a cordless tool, it is ideal for working outdoors or indoors in awkward places and tight spots.
Accessories Are Useful And Of Good Quality
The included accessories are a testament to Dremel’s high quality. It comes with attachments for cleaning, polishing, cutting, grinding, engraving, and buffing, and it comes with appropriate mandrels and collets for use with the attachments. In short, you can complete a lot of different tasks with the accessories already provided.
I am particularly fond of the mini router attachment because it lets me do a lot of fine detailing work quickly, and it is also great for finishing edges and trimming.
Long-Lasting Battery and Fast Charger
A portable tool is only as good as its battery and charger. Knowing this, Dremel provides a really good battery and a really fast charger with the 8220. The continuous runtime at high speeds is about 15 minutes and the fast charger can fully charge a battery in an hour flat.
If you invest in a spare battery or two, you can work almost non-stop, only breaking to swap out batteries. However, this is not the ideal use case for a battery-powered device in the long run, and it will reduce the life span of the batteries.
High-drain devices like this tool use up charge really fast. Batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and need to be replaced once these are used up. So this kind of use will wear out batteries fast if done daily, adding to the long-term cost of using the tool.
Dremel 8220 Alternatives
The 8220 is as close to the perfect cordless rotary tool as it gets, but there are always alternatives to everything. Here are a few alternative cordless rotary tools that you might consider.
Dremel 8050 Micro
- Brilliantly powerful – Cordless rotary tool with LED light offers the perfect combination of size, ergonomics, and power for precise and light-duty DIY projects.
- LED project light - Front end light illuminates projects for better visibility.
- High capacity rechargeable battery – 8 volt Lithium-Ion battery delivers compact power and longer run times. Always ready and no memory effects.
Featuring an 8V battery, this is a smaller, lighter, and more portable alternative to the 8220. This is mainly aimed at artists, crafts makers, and hobbyists. If you prefer a pen-like grip without a flex shaft, want to do really fine work with lots of details, and don’t mind the lower power output, this is the tool to go for.
- The product is 7.2V CDLS Rotary Tool
- Battery Chemistry: Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd)
- NOTE: Please refer to the user manual before use
This is a 7.2V battery-powered tool that is meant mostly for utility and odd jobs. It can also be used for arts and crafts but it only has two speeds to select from. It uses nickel-cadmium batteries instead of lithium-ion.
Dremel Lite 7760
- Multipurpose rotary tool – From woodworking, carpentry, car care to jewelry making and more; Not recommended for cutting, drilling, or routing.
- The versatile 7760 Lite is the diyer’s go-to solution for light duty DIY and crafting projects. Includes 10 accessories to kick start your projects right out of the box.
- Quick accessory changes – With the patented EZ Twist Nose Cap, accessory changes are easy and done without the need of a wrench. Collet size is 1.8”.
This one comes with a 4V battery and is meant for light DIY and crafts projects. The best part here is that it is ultraportable and USB-chargeable, making it the best tool for small projects. Unlike the 7700, it has a variable speed dial that goes from 8,000 to 25,000, making it perfect for makers and artists.
More Dremel Alternatives: Best Dremel Tools To Buy In [Currentyear]
KeShi Cordless Rotary Tool
- [3 Powerful Speed Settings + Great Ventilation ]: 3 powerful speed selections with scattered vent holes. 5000 rpm all the way up to 15000 rpm speed that makes your artwork DIY creation a quite easy...
- [Recessed Power Button Design]: With the groove power button design, you no longer have to worry about the rotary tool being stopped due to accidental touch on the switch, all the engraving/polishing...
- [42 Premium Swap-able Heads]: Comes with 42 attachments and accessories in total that makes it a great deal, while shifting from the bit to another is so easy. Collets x 3(1/16",3/32",1/8"), Mandrel x...
This is a 3.7V cordless rotary tool and is also chargeable via USB. It has a speed range of 5000-15000 and is extremely small, light, and portable. This is ideal if you want a cordless option for things like engraving designs onto glass or wood or doing really fine details on carvings and other art pieces.
In summary, regardless of your experience, the Dremel 8220-1/28 Rotary Tool is a great tool to invest in. It is one of the most powerful cordless rotary tools on the market. It is suitable for heavy jobs like cutting through metal and stone and finer work like engraving and carving. It is also good for finishing moves like grinding and polishing. Plus, it can be used to clear small, complicated parts of machines or household items. That is how versatile this tool is.
If you want to buy this tool, please consider using our links. As Amazon Associates, we get a small commission at no cost to you. You get the best deal, and we get to pay our bills, which allows us to produce more free content like this.