Ryobi is a relatively popular brand for power tools and outdoor tools, but there are also a lot of mixed reviews. Some people love the equipment and claim they work great, whereas others are disappointed with the quality and the appearance and want something more professional. So which is it really; are Ryobi tools good?
Ryobi tools are good for homeowners and DIYers who focus on smaller projects, as they offer a variety of products at an affordable price. The tools are not suitable for professional contractors seeking tools that will last them a long time. Their bright color is also a turn-off for some people.
The rest of this article dives into the good and the bad regarding Ryobi tools. It will also provide you with a list of some of the best Ryobi tools available on Amazon. If you’re on the fence about purchasing from this brand, keep reading to see if Ryobi suits your needs and priorities.
Are Ryobi Tools Worth Buying?
Ryobi tools are worth buying if you’re looking for something lightweight, affordable, and with a decent warranty. While potentially not suitable for professionals, they make great personal tools for small-scale projects. Also, the interchangeable batteries on the tools are incredibly convenient.
5 Biggest Perks of Purchasing a Ryobi tool.
1) The Price Is Affordable
The main reason many people start looking at Ryobi tools in the first place is their affordable prices. The tools retail for less than other power tool companies, and they frequently have sales that allow buyers to get tools for as much as 60% retail price.
If you’re only going to be using a tool once or twice a year, you probably don’t want to invest too much money. Ryobi is a great option for this purpose. Furthermore, the product quality-to-price ratio is pretty decent.
Other brands, such as Milwaukee and DeWalt, are 30-50% more expensive than Ryobi for comparable products.
2) The Tools Feature an Interchangeable Battery Design
Another reason Ryobi tools are worth buying is that many of them can use the same battery, eliminating the need to buy new batteries every time you purchase a new tool. For example, all 225 tools in the 18V One+ line can use the same battery.
The batteries are also all chargeable from the same charger, so you don’t need to buy and store a bunch of different chargers, either.
This design saves you money, time, and storage space. It’s also convenient if one of your tool’s batteries tears up and you need to replace it. Instead of purchasing a new one, you can simply take one off another tool.
3) They’re Lightweight
Ryobi tools are made with cheaper plastic material, which may not be good news for their durability, but it is good news for the hobbyist or DIYer who isn’t used to handling heavy tools. Some higher-quality tools can be quite heavy, which can cause a lot of pain and discomfort to those who aren’t used to them.
4) Ryobi Offers Good Warranties
The following table outlines the warranties for different Ryobi tools:
|18 One+ Line||Three-year limited warranty|
|40V Line||Lithium-ion tools are covered by a five-year warranty|
Outdoor batteries and chargers are covered by a three-year limited warranty
|Hand tools||Limited lifetime warranty|
|Auto accessories and outdoor lawn equipment||No warranty|
In general, users report that Ryobi honors their warranties. This can grant consumers peace of mind when investing in a new tool. However, you should note that some products, including automobile accessories and lawn equipment, come with no warranty. Double-check before you purchase that the product you’re buying has a warranty you’re happy with.
5) There’s a Wide Range of Products
Ryobi has a wide portfolio of tools to choose from. No matter what you need, Ryobi probably has it.
This is extremely convenient, especially when you factor in that most tools can use the same battery. If you want to have lots of tools all from the same brand, Ryobi is a good choice.
Cordless Power Tools
Most Ryobi cordless power tools are part of the 18V One+ line, which means that they are all powered by the same battery. The following tools are offered in this line:
Ryobi has another line of cordless power tools: the 40V cordless line. This line is for more powerful tools, including:
Ryobi doesn’t offer as many corded tools as they do cordless, but they do still have a variety of options, including:
Chances are, if you need a tool, no matter how niche or specialized it may be, Ryobi has it.
Pros of Ryobi Tools
Now that we’ve gone over some of the biggest selling points of Ryobi products, let’s look at a summary of some of the brand’s biggest pros.
The Best Ryobi Tools
Here are some of the best Ryobi tools that are available:
- Ryobi P883 Contractor’s Kit. If you want to get lots of different tools in one kit, this is a good choice for you. It comes with a circular saw, a power drill, a reciprocating saw, and batteries compatible with over 50 Ryobi tools. These are the tools you’ll need for most jobs, and it’s convenient to get them all in one kit.
- Ryobi P340 Cordless Multi-Tool. This tool has a cross-compatible design that works with many other Ryobi tools, comes with accessories and attachments, and can be used for sanding, woodcutting, and as a crescent saw. The base of this tool is even compatible with attachments from other companies, such as Ridgid, so it is a useful tool to have on hand.
- Ryobi One+ Brushless 2-Tool Kit. This kit comes with a drill and an impact driver. Both are lightweight, which makes them ideal for one-handed use, and they are suitable for tight spots and overhead applications.
- Ryobi Brushless One+ Impact Wrench. This wrench has up to 400 nm of torque and three speeds up to 2900 rpm. It also comes with a hex adapter, so you can fit different screwdriver bits.
- Ryobi Brushless One+ Angle Grinder. This angle grinder is lightweight and easy to use with one hand, and it comes with a side handle that can be attached in three different ways, so you can reach any angle. To adjust the angle or depth of your cuts, all you need to do is push a button.
- Ryobi 18V One+ Ratchet Screwdriver. This screwdriver is ideal for hard-to-reach places, and the rotating head makes it ideal for working on cars.
- Ryobi One+ Power Inflator for Tires. This is a handy tool to have to change the pressure of your tires quickly and easily. You also don’t need a compressor with this inflator. This tool has a digital pressure gauge and delivers up to 150 PSI.
- Ryobi 18V One+ Random Orbit Sander. This sander delivers swirl-free sanding because it goes 10,000 orbits per minute. You can use it for up to 40 minutes of continuous sanding because of its superior dust collection and high-capacity battery.
- Ryobi One+ 3-Gallon Project Vacuum. The three-gallon (11.35-liter) size of this vacuum is ideal for most small tasks, and because it’s cordless, it is extremely portable. The vacuum also works as a blower. This vacuum is ideal for cleaning up car spills, so if you have messy kids (or you’re just messy yourself, no judgment here!)This is a useful tool to have.
- Ryobi One+ AirStrike Brad Nailer. The technology of this nailer eliminates the need for a compressor, hose, or gas cartridge. It can use nails as short as ⅝ of an inch (1.58 cm) and up to two inches (5.08 cm) and can drive up to 1,700 per charge. You can use this tool for any trim job.
- Ryobi Sliding Compound Miter Saw. If you do have more heavy-duty projects on the horizon, you may need a more powerful saw, such as this miter saw with a 15 amp motor. The LED cutline doesn’t need adjusting as a laser cutline would.
The other tools that Ryboi sells are great as well, but these are the best that Ryobi has to offer. This list also reveals how diverse and wide-ranging the Ryobi product portfolio really is.
When Not To Buy Ryobi Tools
Despite all their advantages and selling points, Ryobi tools are not for everyone. Here are some of the biggest downfalls:
They’re Not Long-Lasting
Ryobi tools are not suitable for professional contractors who will be using the tools frequently and want something that will last them a long time. Some professionals buy more niche tools from Ryobi since they probably won’t use that tool very often anyway. Still, they opt for more expensive and higher-quality brands for tools they’re planning on using regularly.
The main reason why professional contractors typically do not choose Ryobi tools is that they are constructed with plastic parts that wear down after consistent use. The cheap construction material is not as much of a problem for hobbyists who only use the tool once or twice a year, but for professionals who are using their tools regularly, the cheap construction material isn’t sufficient.
Simply put, the construction of Ryobi tools allows them to be more affordable than other brands, which also means that they won’t be as sturdy or reliable for regular users.
Professionals who want tools that will last them a long time, even if they’re used regularly, should look at more expensive brands, such as Dewalt or Makita. These brands design their tools with professionals in mind.
The Battery Charge Is Unreliable in Cordless Tools
Another issue with Ryobi tools is their reliability. Ryobi cordless tools only last for one or two hours before they need to be charged again, especially if you’re working with resilient materials. If you’re working on a day-long project, these tools will be inconvenient and waste time. You’re better off going with a corded tool, of which Ryobi doesn’t have as many options.
Some users report better battery life than one to two hours with their Ryobi tools, which is great, but not knowing is an issue. You need to have a good idea of how long a tool will last before it needs a recharge if you are working on a professional job. Ryobi, unfortunately, does not offer this kind of reliability.
They Don’t Look Professional
Finally, you probably should not buy Ryobi tools if you care about what your tools look like and want to look professional. The tools are neon green, and because they are made of cheap material as well, they tend to look like toys.
If you are a professional showing up to a job, you want to assure your customer that you know what you’re doing, and this may not be the impression they get if you’re holding a neon green drill in your hand.
Are aesthetics the most important part of a tool? No, but it does matter to some, and the neon green design of Ryobi may be off-putting enough to avoid a purchase.
To sum up, here are some of the main reasons you may not want to purchase Ryobi tools:
- They’re made with plastic that probably won’t last very long. If you want tools that will last forever, Ryobi probably isn’t the brand to go with, especially if you’re using the tools frequently.
- The charge of cordless tools is unreliable If you’re planning on using the cordless tools for more than one or two hours, you may be annoyed with taking breaks to recharge them, as the charge doesn’t last much longer than that.
- They don’t look professional. The neon green color of Ryobi tools was certainly an interesting design choice. Many users say it makes them feel like they’re using a toy rather than a professional tool.
If you don’t want to buy Ryobi tools, here are some of the most common competitors:
- Black & Decker. This brand has tools at lower prices than Ryobi, but they don’t have good warranties. They do have a large product selection, though. Both brands are more suited for DIYers, not professionals.
- Bosch. Bosch is in a similar price range as Ryobi, but they don’t have as wide a range of products, and their warranties aren’t as good.
- Craftsman. Craftsman is also similar in price to Ryobi, but they have better warranties on mechanics and hand tools. They also have more storage and automotive products.
- Dewalt. Dewalt offers higher-quality tools, but this quality comes at a higher price. They also have a wider range of products, including clothing. They also have better warranties than Ryobi.
- Makita. Matika has higher-quality products for a higher price than Ryobi. This brand is more geared towards professionals. The warranties are comparable.
- Milwaukee. This brand is more suited for professionals, so their products tend to be more expensive. They are also more durable and have more features than Ryobi products. Their warranties are comparable.
- Porter-Cable. Porter-Cable is less expensive than Ryobi, but their products are also of lesser quality. Additionally, their warranties aren’t as good.
There are a lot of tools on the market, so finding the best brand for you may be a matter of trial and error. It also depends on your budget and whether you’re a hobbyist or a professional.
Ryobi specializes in making affordable power equipment and outdoor products. They manufacture over 225 different products, sold exclusively at The Home Depot, although you can find some products on Amazon.
If you are a homeowner or a hobbyist seeking to do some relatively simple DIY tasks, Ryobi provides a variety of tools at an affordable price, so you will be able to find what you need without breaking the bank. However, professional contractors should probably seek out a brand with higher-quality and longer-lasting products, such as Dewalt or Makita.