Don’t have time to read the entire article? I believe that Bosch T4B is the best miter saw stand out there. Read on to find out why.
You may have a great miter saw, but do you have the best miter saw stand to use it on? Miter saws are manufactured in a way that will help you make accurate cuts over and over. They also help you operate your miter saw more safely and with greater ease.
But, are they all the same? Let’s find out what you should be looking for in a good portable miter saw stand and review some options that may fit your needs.
A Closer Look At Miter Saw Stands
Are miter saw stands necessary?
In my opinion, yes they are. Simply put, a miter saw stand will help produce more accurate cuts. They will allow you to make those cuts safely.
If you have used a miter saw on the ground you know how awkward positioning materials, especially pieces over 10-feet, can be. Also, the extra distance you must reach down can cause stress on your back and knees. A good stand places the saw at a workbench height and will provide you with stability.
I have also found a stand to be a better platform to work from than a tailgate or most tables, for that matter. Tailgates can be difficult to work from, especially if they have hinges that get in the way of the wood you are cutting. Regular tables can also present issues, especially if the saw tends to move during operation.
If you are reading this review, chances are you already have a good miter saw in your toolbox. A miter saw is only as good as the cuts it produces. It is difficult to make accurate miter cuts from an unstable mount. A majority of the portable miter saw stands on today’s market will have features that will help you make repeatable cuts without sacrificing accuracy. You won’t get that from the back of your truck bed or the garage floor.
Portable miter saw stand Advantages
Factory-made portable miter saw stands are usually more compact than a table. This allows them to be moved and stored more easily. It also prevents them from taking up as much room as a table when they are set up for use.
As they are smaller than a table designed for a miter saw, they will weigh less. The components are often not as bulky either. This makes a miter saw stand more portable than other work surfaces.
Thanks to their design, they will offer more support for longer pieces of wood. Best miter saw stands are built with extensions at farther intervals than found on a typical power tool table. That wider support allows you to handle and cut longer timber.
Finally, many miters saw stands provide stoppers that can be set before you cut. These stoppers can then be used to quickly line your wood up for repeated cuts of the same length.
Features to keep an eye out for
Other components, such as brackets or hinges, should provide a secure lock to prevent unwanted movement during cutting. If these adjustable pieces have locking features, all the better.
Always keep the size and weight capacity of your portable miter saw stand in mind at all times. An overloaded stand could collapse, causing damage to your saw or project. It could also cause serious injury to you if it happens during a cut.
Another thing to consider is the ground beneath your stand. If it is uneven, it could lead to your stand tipping over, even if the weight capacity has not been reached. An uneven miter saw stand can make accurate cutting more difficult as well as harder to repeat from board to board.
If the stand has wheels, try to look for features that lock them in place once the table is in position.
The 5 Best Portable Miter Saw Stands
Bosch T4B Gravity-Rise Rolling Miter Saw Stand
- ADJUSTABLE: Featuring a Bosch-exclusive, patented Gravity Rise System designed for rapid set up and easy breakdown, taking the toughest jobs to the next level
- CAPACITY: The Bosch T4B Gravity-Rise Miter saw stand has up to 18 feet of material capacity, the highest capacity among fully portable units
- PORTABLE: Built with 8-Inch pneumatic wheels for ease of transport over jobsite terrain with even the heaviest miter saws attached
Solid is the best way to describe this foldable miter saw stand. If you are able to pay for it, this model is made for large capacity work. It will provide you with a solid foundation to help make accurate cuts that are repeatable throughout the day.
DEWALT DWX726 Wheeled Folding Miter Saw Stand
- Easily adjustable mounting rails of DEWALT miter saw stand adapt to nearly any miter saw
- Miter saw stand with wheels featuring wide rubber grip provide easy jobsite mobility
- The rolling miter saw stand features three-position pneumatic assisted raising and lowering for the ultimate in flexibility and ease of set up
Dewalt offers a stell body stand that offers good stability as you work from it. Don’t let the brand name fool you, this stand will work with most miter saws on the market. This is a smaller model that could prove ideal for those working with standard construction lumber that is 8-foot or less in length.
DEWALT DWX723 Heavy Duty Miter Stand
- Universal design of DEWALT miter saw stand works with all brands of miter saws
- Lightweight aluminum construction (29 lbs.) of DEWALT miter saw stand allows for easy transport to and from the jobsite
- 5-1/2 ft. beam extends to support up to 16 ft. of material and up to 500 lbs.
This second entry from DeWalt is intended for heavy use in places like a construction site. It is lightweight and has a great wheelbase for easy moving. There are also build components that allow it to hold larger projects that weight more.
BORA Portamate PM-4000 Folding Stand
- A cut above - The Bora Portamate PM-4000 is the best, most practical, hassle-free stand you’ll find for miter saws or chop saws. Constructed of tubular steel with a powder-coated finish, This rugged...
- Cut out for convenience - setup is quick and simple, as the folding legs swing Under the center portion and are secured by pins that snap into position. Stand folds up for easy transport, storage and...
- Switch gears & mount add tools - quick-attach saw mounts allow for easy mounting of your saw, as well as other tools which you can switch around, set up and take down quickly – hardware is included....
This portable miter saw stand could prove ideal for novice woodworkers looking for something to place into their shop. The product is budget-friendly, and the lack of adjustability will not be an issue for most shops as it will have a dedicated area. The capacity and weight limit should prove adequate for most beginner projects.
Toughbuilt TB-S600 Mobile Wheeled Stand
- VERSATILE - This folding saw stand will change the way you use your miter saw. It folds with or without the miter saw locked into place and allows you to transport your miter saw anywhere along with...
- HEAVY DUTY STEEL CONSTRUCTION - 2.4-inch box tube frame, rugged 8.8-inch solid rubber tires that never go flat, and 10-inch work supports that can be repositioned to provide additional holding...
- PRACTICAL AND SAFE - This portable stand has 10 feet of material support with extension. The largest portable miter saw stand anywhere. It has locking foot pedals, so you don't need to free up your...
If you are looking for a medium-sized foldable miter saw stand with features that make transporting easy, this product might be for you. Easy opening and closing, along with quick mounting for a miter saw, make this appealing for a stand used at multiple job sites or in a small shop that requires breakdown and storage.
Which One Gives The Best Support?
While I found appealing features on each of the stands here, but the Bosch Portable Gravity-Rise Wheeled Miter Saw Stand T4B is the best miter saw stand in the group. While it comes with a larger price tag, the money spent is worth the size and features you get.
First off, you get an 18-foot material capacity. That is larger than the other miter saw tables reviewed here. It is also a size that will cover all but the biggest projects you will encounter.
Stability is provided by a strong frame and adjustability. That is something you may find lacking in the cheaper models on the list.
You can make height adjustments with this product. That will make for a more comfortable day of work with this product. You can’t do that with models like the BORA.
You might pay the most for this miter saw stand, but you won’t need to replace it and it should last you for years if you take care of it.